Indian Lands Conservation Area is a lush, tranquil spot, perfect for an easy hike and a snack. Photo by Maggie Kulbokas.
Some days are just made better by having an enjoyable picnic in a serene setting. Whether laying out your wares on a picnic table or pulling out a blanket, picnics are the perfect accompaniment to a warm summer day.
Whether you like to picnic on the beach or in the woods, there are plenty of phenomenal spots to have a picnic on Cape Cod. Most of the picnic spots on Cape Cod are also great places for a walk or swim, so whether you want to make a day of your outing or just go out for a light lunch, there is something for everyone! Here are the best spots for a picnic on Cape Cod.
- Indian Lands Conservation Area, Dennis: This one is a bit of a hike, so this is not for those who only want a picnic. However, the walk is very pleasant and the picnic will be well worth it. The Indian Lands are behind the Dennis Town Offices and feature two “islands”, each surrounded by inlets. One of the “islands” has a picnic table on it, but both are gorgeous and the walk is a perfect way to spend the day.
- Kent’s Point, Orleans: This may not be a spot that immediately jumps to mind when considering a picnic, but for dog lovers, it is a must go! If you want to bring your four-legged friends along, Kent’s Point is the perfect place for a picnic. Set up your picnic on the beach or at the top of the hill overlooking the water.
- Beebe Woods, Falmouth: One of the best spots in Falmouth for a walk, the Beebe Woods are also a great spot for a picnic. Wander about to find your favorite place to set up the picnic basket!
- Braille Trail, Dennis: With a covered area with picnic tables and several fields, the Braille Trail is a great place for a summer picnic, no matter what you are looking for. If you bring the kids, the Marguerite Ickis playground is also right there, or you can walk the Trail (an easy path).
- Pilgrim Spring/Small Swamp Trail, Truro: For families on the Outer Cape, or those who just want to see a fun and new part of Cape Cod, the Pilgrim Spring and Small Swamp Trail in Truro is a great stop. There are places to picnic and the views are incredible.
- Race Point Beach, Provincetown: Located on the Atlantic, picnickers who come here will be treated to views of the wild surf (and of course, the chance to jump in and splash around), as well as ample sunshine and salty smell of the sea. This is a great spot for a picnic and a dip!
- Fort Hill, Eastham: With a gazebo situated overlooking the marsh and beach, Fort Hill is not only a wonderful place for a picnic, but also a great place to walk and take in some of the most scenic views on Cape Cod.
- Great Island, Wellfleet: While there are areas at the top of the trailhead where families can picnic, if you want the full experience, bring your lunch out with you to Great Island. This is a long walk and is not for the faint of heart, but those who decide to make the trek will be rewarded with some of the best sights on Cape Cod on historic Great Island.
- The Boardwalk, Sandwich: An iconic stop on any Cape Cod vacation, the Boardwalk at Town Neck Beach in Sandwich is a truly pleasurable spot for any occasion, and particularly for a picnic. Wander down the Boardwalk, jump into the water, and take in a picnic on the beach.
- Gray’s Beach, Yarmouth: With another popular boardwalk that takes advantage of what limited beach there is on Yarmouth’s bayside, Gray’s Beach is a great spot for a picnic (there is even an area for picnicking). Be sure to watch for the various wildlife that comes from the nearby marsh!
- Cape Cod Canal, Bourne: Of course if you want to picnic next to the bridges and watch the various boats in the water, the Cape Cod Canal is a great spot for a picnic. With nice paths for biking and walking and picnic benches, this is a fun stop, whether you are here for a while, just arriving, or looking for a last hurrah before crossing the bridge!
So pack up your picnic favorites, be they sandwiches, chips, salad, or something else, and find a favorite spot for you and your family to spend an afternoon!