Eastham, MA | Points of Interest
1869 Schoolhouse Museum, Cape Cod National Seashore, Salt Pond Visitor Center, Fort Hill & Red Maple Swamp Trail, Captain Penniman House, Nauset Lighthouse, Coast Guard Station, Swift-Daley House, Cape Cod Rail Trail.
- Staying in Eastham: Eastham, MA Hotels, Motels & Resorts, Eastham, Cape Cod Bed and Breakfasts & Inns, Eastham Vacation House Rentals
- Visiting Eastham: About, History, Beaches, Hiking & Biking, Culture
- Town Information: Chamber of Commerce, Churches, Library
Eastham is the gateway to the Cape Cod National Seashore and the Outer Cape. There are several excellent bay and ocean beaches which have been popular for generations.
Eastham has some larger hotels, some quaint B&Bs and several kitschy and quaint cottage colonies.
Eastham was essentially one giant asparagus patch until the 1920s! But the town is now known for its delicious turnips.
The Windmill on the Eastham Village Green on Route 6, site of many concerts, art shows and the town's annual Windmill Weekend. Photo by Maggie Kulbokas.
Eastham (pop. 4,956) was first settled by the Pilgrims in 1644. Originally named Nawsett, it was incorporated on June 7, 1651.
First Encounter Beach is where Myles Standish and company met up with the Nauset Indians in 1620.
- Coast Guard Beach: off 6 at the Salt Pond Visitor Center, follow Nauset Road and Doane Road
- Campground Beach: off Route 6 on Campground Road
- Cooks Brook: off Cooks Brook Road in Eastham
- First Encounter: off Route 6 at the end of Samoset Road
- Nauset Light Beach: off Route 6, right onto Brackett Road and follow Cable Road to beach.
If you enjoy the outdoors, you'll love Eastham! Eastham has some of the most interesting nature trails and sights to see including Fort Hill and the Red Maple Swamp Trail and Nauset Marsh Trail all in the Cape Cod National Seashore.
Biking enthusiasts and walkers will love the Cape Cod Rail Trail. Maintained by the state's Dept. of Conservation and Recreation, the Cape Cod Rail Trail, a 22-mile former railroad, runs from Dennis to Wellfleet.
Tour historic Nauset Lighthouse at Nauset Light Beach in North Eastham. Photo by Maggie Kulbokas.
History buffs rejoice! Eastham's Historical Society operates several sites including the Schoolhouse Museum, the Windmill on the Village Green and the Swif-Daley House.
The Nauset Lighthouse Preservation Society offers tours of Nauset Lighthouse during the better part of the year and even offers a full moon tour every now and then!
Like its fellow Outer Cape towns, Eastham holds an annual family-friendly celebration in the fall. Windmill Weekend is filled with fun events, entertainment, food and activities and culminates with a down-home parade on the final day of the parade.
- Town of Eastham
- Eastham Chamber of Commerce
- Eastham Public Library
- Orleans-Eastham Elks Lodge
- Eastham United Methodist Church
- Nauset Fellowship-Unitarian Universalist