Wellfleet, Cape Cod | Points of Interest
Marconi Wireless Station Site and the Atlantic White Cedar Swamp Trail on the Cape Cod National Seashore, Wellfleet Historical Society and Museum, Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, Uncle Tim's Bridge.
- Staying in Wellfleet: Wellfleet Hotels, Motels & Resorts, Wellfleet Bed and Breakfasts & Inns, Wellfleet, MA Vacation House Rentals
- Visiting Wellfleet: About, History, Beaches, Hiking & Biking, Golf, Culture
- Town Information: Chamber of Commerce, Churches, Library
Wellfleet is uniquely characterized by its geography, culture and people. Located 75 miles out into the Atlantic Ocean, it's only 2 miles wide, with beautiful beaches on both the bay and Atlantic sides. Despite its narrow width, strangely enough, it's endowed with beautiful, clear spring-fed ponds, or kettle holes, which were created by glaciers several thousand years ago.
Wellfleet Harbor is an actively changing panorama of fishing boats, yachts, trawlers, and, at low tide, flats of shellfish.
Wellfleet (pop. 2,750), the name of which is thought to have come from "Whale Fleet", was incorporated on June 16, 1763. Until that time it was a part of Eastham referred to as Billingsgate. Today it is know as the "Art Gallery Town", as well as the source of world-famous Wellfleet oysters.
- White Crest: Ocean View Drive off Cahoon Hollow Road off Route 6
- Cahoon Hollow: Cahoon Hollow Road off Route 6
- Mayo: Commercial Street off Route 6
- Duck Harbor: Duck Harbor Road off Chequesset Neck Road
- Powers Landing: off Chequesset Neck Road from Main Street off Route 6
- Newcomb Hollow: off Ocean View Drive from Gross Hill Road off Route 6
- Great Pond: off Cahoon Hollow Road off Rooute 6
- Long Pond: Long Pond Road off Route 6
- Gull Pond: Gull Pond Road off Route 6
If you enjoy the outdoors, you'll love Wellfleet! Wellfleet boasts some of the best nature trails in the Cape Cod National Seashore. Don't miss the Atlantic White Cedar Swamp and Great Island trails among others.
The Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary offers nature trips, cruises, walks, workshops and classes for adults and children.
Biking enthusiasts and walkers will love the Cape Cod Rail Trail. Maintained by the state's Dept. of Conservation and Recreation, the Cape Cod Rail Trail, a 22-mile former railroad, runs from Dennis to Wellfleet.
Get your clubs out, golfers! Wellfleet is home to the Chequessett Yacht & Country Club which features a 9 hole course with two sets of tees for 18 holes of play.
Those who like history and the arts will find themselves instantly at home in Wellfleet. For history buffs, the Wellfleet Historical Society operates a museum on Main Street and offers summer walking tours, lectures and other special events throughout the year.
If you are into entertainment and the arts, check out WHAT--the Wellfleet Harbor Actors Theatre--which features live plays and performances, screenings and MET Opera. The Wellfleet Preservation Hall is the town's newly-renovated cultural center--host to great events year-round.
Live bands do not disappoint at the Beachcomber (pronounced "co-ma" in these parts) on Cahoon Hollow Beach. And during the summer, the town sponsors free concerts and plays at Baker's Field and square dancing on the town pier.
Catch a movie at Wellfleet Cinema or spend the evening at one of America's last drive-ins, the Wellfleet Drive-In Theatre. During the day on the weekends and many holidays, the Wellfleet Flea Market is held on the grounds of the drive-in.
Known as the "art gallery town" Wellfleet's main and side streets are bursting with art galleries featuring the work of local artists.
But the real draw is seafood--oysters in particular. Wellfleet oysters are world-famous and the focus of the Wellfleet OysterFest, held each year in October. Thousands crowd the town's Main Street for a weekend of fun and food featuring and arts & crafts fair, entertainment, vendors and the annual shucking contest. And if you can't make it to the OysterFest, you can always sample these briny sensations at one of the town's many fine eateries.
- Town of Wellfleet
- Wellfleet Chamber of Commerce
- Wellfleet Public Library
- Our Lady of Lourdes Parish
- First Congregational Church of Wellfleet
- Grace Chapel Assembly of God
- Wellfleet United Methodist Church